Neck pain is a problem that many of us face, and this is particularly a problem of people who spend a lot of time on the computer. I will never forget reading about a woman who had become an internet millionaire but she incurred terrible crippling kyphosis after she did.
Kyphosis is a degenerative disease of the neck, and it is easy to see how working on a computer could lead to that painful disorder. A lot of the time when we speak about the ergonomic risks to being on the computer we concentrate on the wrists, but it is important that we do not forget our neck as well.
Here are some tips that will help us protect our necks and stay out of pain:
- Take frequent mini-breaks. Even 30 seconds away from the sitting position and standing up will help your neck stay healthy. Walk around for a moment or two, perhaps outside.
- Drink up! Did you know that he neck discs are made almost entirely of water? Making sure that you are hydrated will help prevent neck pain, as well as joint pain of all kinds.
- And don’t just drink water: jump in! Swimming and aquasize are great for you neck.
- Cold packs and hot packs can help.
- Work in massage and perhaps gentle chiropractic and acupuncture. There are ancient ways of preventing pain that are better than living on Motrin or having surgery.
- Use gentle exercises to help. I have included a video that has some great suggestions.
- If you start to have pain, talk to your doctor. Perhaps physical therapy or other treatments – including surgery as a last resort would help. And the sooner you attend to a problem the better.
Let’s work towards becoming millionaires – but let’s keep our health as we do so.